Dec 05, 2023
Requirements for the Biological Sciences Major
In addition to the UC Merced and School of Natural Sciences General Education and Courses Required Outside of Natural Sciences and Engineering, the requirements that must be met to receive the B.S. in Biological Sciences at UC Merced are:
Major Requirements [46-49 Units]
Emphasis Track Courses [24-38 Units]
Details on the Emphasis Track are given below.
Undergraduate Major in Biological Sciences Research
As a capstone to the Biological Sciences Program, all Biological Sciences majors are encouraged to participate in a research experience. Students attend research lectures by UC Merced faculty, and students can elect to go on to participate in research projects during their senior year. The relevant course numbers are:
Microbiology and Immunology Emphasis Track
Students in the Microbiology and Immunology (MBI) emphasis track study the diversity, structure, evolution, method of transmission, replication, epidemiology and mechanism of pathogenesis of microorganisms and their interplay with the host immune system. Related topics in bioterrorism, environmental microbiology, drug resistance, development of the immune system, applications in biotechnology and their political and socioeconomic ramifications are also explored. A student in the Microbiology and Immunology emphasis track will have many career options including work in research, education, the pharmaceutical industry, regulatory agencies or health-related professions.
Microbiology and Immunology Core Courses [22-23 Units]
Microbiology and Immunology Upper Division Elective Courses [8 Units Minimum]
At least two courses chosen from the following Microbiology and Immunology elective:
To be admitted to the Biological Sciences major transfer students must meet the following requirements:
Applicants will, at the time of admission have completed at minimum each of the following courses (or their equivalent) with a “C-” or better:
Applicants must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.8 in transferable courses. Any outstanding General Education and Major preparation coursework will be completed at UC Merced. Students should also consult the Information for Prospective Students link on the School of Natural Sciences website naturalsciences.ucmerced.edu for more information.
* Biological Sciences BIO 001 and BIO 001L (if available at their originating school. A letter grade of “B” or better grade must be earned.)
Biology Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates from the Biological Sciences programs will have demonstrated:
- An understanding of the tenets of modern biology and an understanding of how cellular functions are integrated from the molecular level to the cellular level, through to the level of organism, populations, and functioning ecosystems.
- An ability to develop and critique hypotheses and to design experiments, models, and/or calculations to address these hypotheses.
- The ability to use appropriate instrumentation and computational tools to collect, analyze and interpret data.
- The ability to read, evaluate, interpret, and apply numerical and general scientific information.
- A familiarity with and application of safety in good laboratory and field practices.
Sample plans of study for the Biological Sciences degree may be found in the School of Natural Sciences website naturalsciences.ucmerced.edu.