Sep 30, 2023
Requirements for the Biological Sciences Major
In addition to the UC Merced and School of Natural Sciences General Education and Courses Required Outside of Natural Sciences and Engineering, the requirements that must be met to receive the B.S. in Biological Sciences at UC Merced are:
Major Requirements [46-49 Units]
Emphasis Track Courses [24-38 Units]
Details on the Emphasis Track are given below.
Undergraduate Major in Biological Sciences Research
As a capstone to the Biological Sciences Program, all Biological Sciences majors are encouraged to participate in a research experience. Students attend research lectures by UC Merced faculty, and students can elect to go on to participate in research projects during their senior year. The relevant course numbers are:
Human Biology Emphasis Track
The Human Biology (HB) emphasis track provides students with a rich education in the scientific principles that underlie modern health sciences. This major is an excellent preparation for entrance into health-related professional careers including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, genetic counseling, health education, public health, clinical psychology, epidemiology, environmental health sciences and health administration, among others. The Human Biology emphasis track also provides a strong foundation for careers in biomedical research, and includes the courses most broadly required for advanced study in health sciences.
Human Biology Core Courses [17 Units]
Human Biology Upper Division Elective Courses [16 Units Minimum]
At least four courses chosen from the Human Biology elective list below, one upper division Cognitive Science, Psychology or Neurology Course [4 units], two BIO courses [8 units minimum], and one additional course [4 units minimum].
To be admitted to the Biological Sciences major transfer students must meet the following requirements:
Applicants will, at the time of admission have completed at minimum each of the following courses (or their equivalent) with a “C-” or better:
Applicants must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.8 in transferable courses. Any outstanding General Education and Major preparation coursework will be completed at UC Merced. Students should also consult the Information for Prospective Students link on the School of Natural Sciences website naturalsciences.ucmerced.edu for more information.
* Biological Sciences BIO 001 and BIO 001L (if available at their originating school. A letter grade of “B” or better grade must be earned.)
Biology Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates from the Biological Sciences programs will have demonstrated:
- An understanding of the tenets of modern biology and an understanding of how cellular functions are integrated from the molecular level to the cellular level, through to the level of organism, populations, and functioning ecosystems.
- An ability to develop and critique hypotheses and to design experiments, models, and/or calculations to address these hypotheses.
- The ability to use appropriate instrumentation and computational tools to collect, analyze and interpret data.
- The ability to read, evaluate, interpret, and apply numerical and general scientific information.
- A familiarity with and application of safety in good laboratory and field practices.
Sample plans of study for the Biological Sciences degree may be found in the School of Natural Sciences website naturalsciences.ucmerced.edu.