Aug 25, 2019
The American Studies minor builds on the tradition of an interdisciplinary field of study that promotes a broad humanistic understanding of American culture, past and present. By incorporating economics, history, literature, sociology, art history, anthropology, ethnic studies and public policy (among other areas), this minor encourages students and faculty within those fields to exchange ideas on scholarship as it relates to the American experience. In addition, the American Studies minor seeks to move beyond traditional limitations of American Studies, by allowing students to take relevant courses in engineering or the natural sciences. Inclusion of these courses is based on the rationale that cultural practices often stem from our understanding of research in those sciences.
To be awarded a minor in American Studies, students must successfully complete at least 20 units.
Lower Division Minor Requirements [4 units]
Complete one of the following courses:
Upper Division Minor Requirements [16 units]
Please consult a SSHA Advisor, visit SSHA Advising website (ssha-advising.ucmerced.edu) or MyDegreePath for a list of approved course.
- One upper division American history course
- One upper division American English course
- One upper division non-HIST/ENG course on American topics
- One upper division course in American ethnicity, race or gender
American Studies Minor Program Learning Outcomes
- Students analyze themes in American culture (past and present) and raise insightful questions from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Students name, understand, and apply interdisciplinary theories and methods to contemporary scenarios.
- Students use professional written and oral communication.
- Students demonstrate an understanding of American Studies as a field, including current and emerging issues in the discipline.
- Students demonstrate an understanding of the political and historical dimensions of culture and demonstrate this skill in essay and/or exam formats.
The following guidelines pertain to all SSHA minors:
- To complete any SSHA minor, students must complete a minimum of five courses, at least four of which must be upper division.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- All minor course requirements must be completed with a C- or better.
- A minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 (C) in upper division courses is required. The only exception is a minor in Arts, for which the minimum GPA in upper division courses is 2.7 (B-).
- At least three of the five required courses must be taken at UC Merced.
- Only one course may be used simultaneously to satisfy requirements for two minors.
- Only one course may be used to satisfy both a minor and a major requirement.
- Students must consult the UC Merced General Catalog for prerequisites to required courses.