Jan 25, 2021  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Anthropology, B.A.

In addition to adhering to General Education  and School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts Requirements , the Anthropology major requires at least 56 units (some of which simultaneously meet general education requirements). Courses in the major must be taken for a letter grade, and specifically may not be taken on a pass/no pass basis unless the course is only offered on a pass/no pass basis.

Lower Division Major Requirements [16 Units]

Upper Division Major Requirements [40 Units]

History of Anthropological Thought and Practice Requirement [4 units]

Complete the following course:

Biological Anthropology Requirement [4 units]

Complete one biological anthropology course from ANTH 150-169. Additional courses may be added to this list as approved by the faculty.

Methods Requirements [8 units]

Field Methods Requirement [4 units]

Complete one field methods course from the following list. With the approval of the Anthropology Faculty, the upper division field methods requirement may be satisfied by taking an archaeological, biological anthropological, or ethnographic Field School from an approved institution.

Laboratory or Archival Methods Requirement [4 units]

Complete one of the following courses:

Writing Requirement [4 units]

Complete the following writing course:

Additional Degree Requirements [12 Units]

  • Complete three additional upper division courses in Anthropology

Transfer Students

Transfer students who wish to major in Anthropology should complete the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) at their community college. Transfer students may not be admitted to the Anthropology major without specific major preparation. Below are the current Transfer Selection Criteria for the Anthropology Major.

Transfer Selection Criteria

To be admitted to the Anthropology major transfer students must meet the following requirements:
Applicants will, at the time of admission have completed at minimum one of the following courses (or their equivalent) with a “C‐” or better: